Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

hard water stains be...gone!

This past Thursday I attended a church meeting where we learned all about cleaning with natural products rather than harsh chemicals. I learned a lot of helpful tips but the one I was most interested in was adding vinegar to my dishwasher. I've tried it before and wasn't impressed, but I learned a new method at this meeting and I decided to try it again. I tried it this morning and I was unbelievably impressed. You have to try this, especially if you have hard water.

So I started with a full dishwasher, added my soap to the slot of the door then got my vinegar ready. Grab a glass or jar that you don't really care about so you can designate it as your vinegar container, then fill it with vinegar.
I used a small jar and filled up about 2/3.

Place it on your lower rack, preferably in the middle but anywhere will be ok. 
Mine didn't fit in the middle so I just put it in the back.
Close your dishwasher and select your normal settings and if you have hi-temp wash select that.

Let it run and be amazed when you open your dishwasher!

The cup will be totally full when you open the dishwasher so be careful not to pull your bottom rack out too quick and spill it. You can re-use this same vinegar for another load. Vinegar is so potent that having it watered down won't hurt it for another load.
The cup on the right doesn't have any water spots, 
the spot on the top of it is merely a reflection of the dirty glass.

You'll want to continue doing this for each load if you have hard water to keep it from building up. It will prolong the life of your dishwasher too. I also noticed that my dishwasher was much cleaner.

Let me know how it works for you, I was blown away at the results of one wash!