Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Guest Post: Homemakin' & Decoratin'

  Hi everyone! I'm Jessica from
This is my first time ever guest posting, so I was super excited when Dresden asked me to come over and share a little bit about myself and my blog! 
I LOVE anything and everything crafty and creative! I'm pretty much always craving to make something! Since after marrying my husband in 2009 and moving from California to New Brunswick, Canada, I had to find ways to keep myself busy since I wasn't able to work yet. Also, living on a just-married budget gets your creative juices flowing when you have to learn to make do with what you have or don't have!
Around this same time I discovered the awesome world of blogs. Ever since then I have become an addict to crafty and thrifty home design blogs where I get most of my inspiration! And of course I was inspired to start my own blog where I could share all of my creative adventures, like my living room wall collage, DIY apothecary jars, crocheting, cake balls, making my own jewelry.. and lots more! I have an Etsy shop too!
In my shop I have little crocheted hair goodies, baby hats and headbands, sweet little earrings, and other fun handmade items. I daydreamed often about opening my own shop, but was always too chicken to try. I tend to doubt the worth of my work way too much, but my friends and family encouraged me to go for it. So I did! Metsy Made is still very new and I've had just a few sales. But I think I'm really going to enjoy it! Stop by and have a look around!
 Today I want to share a YUMMY tutorial with you all. If you're an ice cream lover like me then you'll LOVE this!
Last summer (and also this weekend!) I made this yummalicious cake for a friend's birthday, and I pretty much just made everything up. I'm probably not the first to try something like this, but I was proud of myself for thinking it up. And I know summer's pretty much coming to an end, but those of us who are addicted to ice cream don't need warm weather to eat our favorite treat! (and also I'm trying to hold onto EVERYthing summer like.. since summer here in New Brunswick seems so short and the winter SOOO long!) What you will need
Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream Package of Oreo cookies Tub of Cool Whip Box of instant vanilla pudding  ( or you could use chocolate too!)
1. Before starting, pull the ice cream out of the freezer and let it thaw and soften for awhile.
2. Crush up most of the cookies in a bowl. I used a meat tenderizer to crush them up! 
3. Melt a couple tablespoons of butter and mix it with the crushed cookies, then spread it all out into a dish that you don't mind keeping in the freezer. I just use my 9x13 dish. 
4. Mix up the vanilla pudding just like the box instructs. Then mix the cool whip right into the pudding and then add that mixture right on top of the cookie crust. You may want to put that right into the freezer just for a little bit so it firms up before spreading on the ice cream.
5. Dump ice cream into a large bowl and mush and stir up until it's soft and spreadable. If it's not really soft it will mess up the other layers you have on the cake already. 
6. Now you can take the remaining cookies and crush them up for a topping! I always have about 4 cookies left even after doing the topping... I like oreos! :) 
Put your cake in the freezer and wait for what seems like EVER and EVER till it's frozen enough, then happily eat it up while saying, "I love you! I love you!" to your yummy treat! 
I hope you'll come visit me on my blog sometime!! 
Thank you Dresden for inviting me to come and share a little something on your blog!